Re: Fedora Publishing

After reading all the comments so far I finally have something to say. And it has nothing to do about the technical end of producing documentation. I want to talk about people and community.

We are a community of volunteers who produce documentation. That is the bottom line. Thus, standards are not exactly something that can be forced down the throat of a volunteer. All of us come to the table with differing skill sets and backgrounds. And as a volunteer we are not really willing to learn something new or change the way we do things when there is no reward except the satisfaction of a job well done.

The real question we should be asking is how do we best make use of these diverse skill sets to produce documentation that is organized and contains great content. If we can agree that this is the real question before us then we can begin discussions on how to solve the problem. Otherwise we will be spinning our wheels and wasting valuable resources.

one solution put forward was to figure out how to accept a variety of input formats into a process that produces the output we want. Obviously some conversion of the input will need to be performed so that a common output can be maintained.

The above process would be very nice and could probably be built, but it also has a big issue. In our volunteer environment, the maintainer is usually not the original writer and their skill sets may not match. So another big question is how do we solve this problem? Do we force the maintainer to learn the document's original format? Do we perform maintenance in a common format?

I think you can see from the above discussion that we have a really tough problem to solve. And the root of that problem is the people who volunteer their time and resources. In our case, diversity of skills is the key issue. Until we can come to an agreement that this is the real problem we will never solve the technical problem. We have to design a process and a set of governance rules that solves our people problem.

Technical problems can almost always be solved, people issues are harder.

W. David Ashley