Re: Release notes have a launcher - maybe we should remove that

On Tue, 9 Sep 2014 08:32:58 -0400
Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2014 11:11 PM, "John J. McDonough" <wb8rcr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > Maybe people *SHOULD* read the release notes first, but that isn't
> > reality.
> >
> I suspect there are two general classes of Release Notes consumers here.
> The first is as Leslie described, who use the RN to plan upgrades. That
> audience isn't likely to install on Release Day anyway, even if the EN were
> available early. The second is the adventurous (probably single-install or
> with just a few machines) user who upgrades and then says "okay, what cool
> stuff comes with this?"
>
> At work, I'm in the first group. At home, I'm in the second. I can't say in
> either scenario that I'm particularly harmed by the RN being available on
> the installation media or by the presence of a launcher.

I think that the first group is the reason why we also need to provide an
online version of the document. There doesn't seem to be any disagreement
about that.

The presence (or, more specifically, the current location) of the launcher
seems to be an issue because it doesn't follow the design of the GNOME
desktop.

Cheers,
pk