Re: New to fedora

Hi Joey:

On 20 April 2014 13:01:12 Joey Brandt wrote:
> Hi, my name is Joey and I am trying to get started helping in the
> community. I love Linux and open source. I currently work for a software
> company in the Client Services department and have 3 years of experience in
> software testing, training, and documentation. Is there anyone that can
> help me figure out my role? Thanks so much!

Welcome to Fedora Docs! You can find project ideas in many places; the "Join"
page Bruno suggested is obviously a great place to start.

If you're serious about joining us, we recommend you follow the instructions
on this wiki page:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_Docs_Project

One of the standard tasks for new Docs contributors is the Release Notes.[0]

I also have a specific project idea, inspired by Jon Kent's difficulties with the
documentation for Fedora packagers.[0] Difficult-to-use documentation
intimidates potential packagers, and also makes it more difficult for current
packagers to follow the guidelines. The Docs people could make a big difference
here, and because it's all on the wiki, it's a good task for new contributors
too!

You might start by proofreading the content on a smaller page, like
"Packaging:Ruby."[2] At minimum, you can revise sentences for style and
clarity. If you don't know anything about packaging, that's fine too, because
these guidelines serve both experienced and new packagers. After you
understand a smaller page, you may be able to create or improve the
documentation for new packagers.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask, even (especially!) if
you think it should be obvious. We don't always respond quickly, but we try
our best.

Christopher

[0] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_beats
[1] http://littledaemons.tumblr.com/post/83090736069/back-to-fedora-packaging