Re: Self Introduction:

On 26/01/11 16:55, Matt wrote:
Hello!

My name is Matt Offers, and I wanna help out. I am a recent college graduate who's looking to get some experience with both linux and technical writing. I have a friend who has been contributing to the Fedora project for years and who has been trying to get me involved for years. Computer-wise my background is in OS X, but I've used a few linux distros including Fedora, and I am in love with the open source world. I'm currently having a little bit of trouble setting up Fedora on my test machine in my room (for some reason it doesn't have a proper NIC, and only an old Linksys wireless card for which I'm having trouble finding the drivers for) but as soon as I get it up and running I'll be able to generate my GPG key and all that jazz. I look forward to contributing as much as I can, and learning from all of you.

-Matt Offers

Welcome Matt! You've come at at a good time, as we're just starting to prepare the documentation for the next release of Fedora. Have a look at the roadmap, it will give you an idea of where we're at: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/15/Schedule.

One of the first major steps in preparing the documentation for Fedora 15 is the beta release notes. The notes are broken down into sections called beats, and everyone picks a section to work on, briefly outlining the key changes that have occurred between the current release (Fedora 14) and the new one. You can find a guide to the beat-writing process here - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs_Project_workflow_-_beat_writing. Once you've familiarised yourself with the process, you can claim a beat you want to work on here - https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Documentation_beats.

All the beats are drafted on the wiki first, and then checked for accuracy before being converted to Docbook xml. Don't worry about picking a topic you don't know much about - if you follow the instructions in the beat-writing guide, you'll be able to do all the research you need to write the one or two paragraphs needed, and you might discover some cool new features and software in the process! Have a look at the current release notes (they should be installed in Fedora by default) to get some idea of how to structure your beat.

If you've never edited a wiki before, there's a handy markup guide here: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Help:Wiki_syntax_and_markup.

Finally, there's lots of friendly people out there who'll be happy to give you a hand if you get stuck, both on the mailing list and in the #fedora-docs channel on IRC Freenode.

Looking forward to working with you!

Nathan Thomas