Re: Changing glossary to ???

On 06/23/2010 12:36 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> Fair enough -- my personal disappointment is probably partly due to my
> not having enough foresight about handling this problem, or for that
> matter being aware of it. :-)

Another possible solution occurred to me on the train in the way in here
this morning -- if (at least for the time being), we positioned this as
a glossary of English-language terminology, it makes the collation
problem go away, since the primary sort will be on the English term,
which we know sorts correctly.

For example, at the moment, we have a Portuguese translation for the
"package" entry, as follows:

       pacote

       Os utilizadores normalmente referem-se a um ficheiro RPM como um
pacote.

Which of course will be sorted as "pacote". If we add the English term,
we would get an entry like this:

       package: pacote

       Os utilizadores normalmente referem-se a um ficheiro RPM como um
pacote.

sorted under "package". The purpose of the translated glossary now
shifts a little from being purely a "dictionary" (as it is in English)
into a "translation dictionary".

This makes sense, because the Portuguese "Glossário de Termos" ("Jargon
Buster") only contains explanations and translations of terms that
originate in English and are in common use in English; it does not
contain definitions for any local computing or FOSS jargon or slang of
Portuguese (language) origin.

Just another possible take on the problem.

Cheers
Rudi