Re: Changing glossary to ???

On 06/22/2010 06:25 AM, Paul W. Frields wrote:

> If Rudi's suggesting moving it to the wiki, I'm a bit sad, since I
> spent a lot of personal time XML'ifying it from the wiki some time
> back.

My suggestion is moving it back to the wiki until we get the sorting
problems fixed. Long term, XML is definitely the right solution.

> Does this not help at all?
> http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/GlossarySort.html

No; that's what we do now. It works fine for English, doesn't work at
all for Chinese and Japanese, and we haven't rigorously tested what
happens at the edges of other languages that use Latin script (keeping
in mind that not every language that uses the Latin script collates
letters the the same way that English does or orders them the same way
that English does all the time).

We can fix most weirdness in alphabetic or syllabic writing systems
upstream in the DocBook locale files. Writing systems that use ideograms
are the present stumbling block.

> If we're not using any glossdiv to divide up entries, will
> glossary.sort work?

glossdiv isn't the problem here (and we're not actually using it in this
case at all). You're right, however, that glossdiv makes thing much,
much worse, even in languages that use the same writing system.[0]

Cheers
Rudi

[0] an illustration from the Publican User Guide --
http://tinyurl.com/2gx4yq3