Re: Install Guide now in Publican

Paul W. Frields wrote:
Really?  Isn't using &DISTRO; a pretty good way to go, as opposed to
doing manual search and replace on "Fedora"?  On the other hand, I'm
sure the usage wasn't consistent throughout which is surely a problem
in itself.
Some languages attach various grammatical elements (articles, prepositions, case markers) to nouns, which means that an entity that always appears exactly the same way in English may take a number of different forms in a target language that behaves this way.

By way of illustration: In Czech, if "Fedora" is the subject of a sentence, it's written "Fedora". However, if "Fedora" is the direct object of the sentence, it becomes "Fedoru", if it has a possessive sense ("Fedora's" or "of Fedora" in English), it becomes "Fedory", if it's an indirect object or indicating a location ("to Fedora", "in Fedora") it's "Fedoře", and if it has an "instrumental" sense ("with Fedora") it's "Fedorou" . So:

"Fedora is a Linux distribution" -> "Fedora je linuxová distribuce" (note also what happens to "Linux" in this sentence; if it were the subject of the sentence it would be "linuxové")

but

"Get Fedora" -> "Stáhnout Fedoru"

and

"Installation of Fedora" -> "Inštalácia Fedory"

and

"People involved in Fedora" -> "Lidé podílející se na Fedoře"

and

"The most common problems with Fedora" -> "Nejběžnější problémy s Fedorou"

(there's another form as well, the "vocative", which you would use when calling out to Fedora – "Oh mighty Fedora!" – but I can't find a practical example of this) But in short: seven different grammatical cases represented by six different forms of the word; all supposed to be represented by one single entity in English. [1]

English pronouns still inflect for grammatical case, so this would be like deciding to set an entity for the word "he". That's fine as the subject of a sentence, but what do you do when the sentence needs the pronoun to change to "him" or "his"?

Thanks Paul for the pointers to fedora-trans-list and the package maintainer's site. I still need a few of these signposts :) and thanks to all for the positive feedback so far.

Cheers
Rudi

[1] Actually, I'm not a Czech speaker. The situation is very similar in Russian (which I know a little) but didn't want to use that as an example because of the different alphabet. The examples I've used here, however, are collected from the Internet (in particular, from http://www.fedora.cz/ ), and are not of my own devising. My apologies to any Czech speakers reading this if I haven't got things quite right! Even if I have munged things up a little at some point, I think it still illustrates the pitfalls of using entities that indicate a particular form in English when translating into a highly-inflected target language. Russian and Czech have seven cases for nouns. Finnish has fifteen, and Hungarian has seventeen.