Re: New Volunteer

At 00:36 18/06/2004, Karsten Wade wrote:

> >Instead, have you considered connecting from your Windows OS via PuTTY
> >(http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/) to a Fedora Core
> >server with the Authoring and Publishing package group installed (i.e.,
> >docbook-*, tetex, xmlto, etc.)?
>
> Now that is hard :-) I do it for a wiki server I have at work.

What is hard about using PuTTY to run 'make html' at the shell?

I thought you meant running emacs via putty.

Okay, okay, that's fine if Emacs runs well under Windows.

Just as well as it does on Linux.

I was thinking more about the toolchain.  If it were myself, with a good
running copy of Emacs under Windows, I would still use PuTTY to scp my
XML to the server.

I dont' know what scp is. I generally use a local (to windows) tool chain to check that what I've written is valid, that the resultant html is good etc. Final deliverable is XML, so I don't need to use dsssl.

My reasoning for keeping the Fedora docs toolchain running under Fedora
Core is that is where it is designed to run, best to troubleshoot, and
somewhat supportable/fixable.

Is it used only for interim viewing though? The end result html is built by redhat staff isn't it?

> (don't know why, but defending win32 :-)

I don't either, and not from a value judgment about Windows OSes
position, but because this is not a discussion list about running
DocBook-based tools under Windows.  I didn't want to sound mean and
tyrannical to Brad or any other user who has to exist under Windows, I
just thought a solution that was thematic with the beginning and ending
(FIFO - Fedora in, Fedora out) might make more sense.

I guess it depends why you want to style the xml?

regards DaveP