Re: Proposal: Rolling Release

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, Callum Lerwick wrote:

The real missing piece is 'undo' when you find out that a change in the
new version breaks something that you need.  Does anyone know if that
actually works on systems using conary (i.e. can you back up a major
revision)?

Not feasible for RPM due to pre/post scripts. The rudimentary roll back
support in RPM has actually been removed in 4.6. It probably needs the
underlying filesytem to support snapshots. Something like btrfs needs to
be in place first.

We need rollback if we ever want to be serious about end-user testing.

With non-critical (as in, not needed for yum to run...) packages an "rpm
-e somepackage --nodeps" "yum install somepackage" offers something of a
rollback...

Filesystem rollback may work for full-distribution upgrade rollback, but
won't work so well for per-package rollback. A user should be able to
cherry pick updates to try from "updates-testing", and easily roll back
individual packages, or their entire system to "updates" or even the
"fedora" repo should something go wrong.

Debian can do this. The only reason we can not is because we refuse to.

The above use-case (perfectly valid use-case, mind you) is a very very limited special case of rollback called "software downgrade". And that rpm can handle just as well or badly as dpkg - it all depends on the software in question, what its scriptlets do or don't do etc.

The question is, how would the package management toolchain be able to differentiate "oops db4-4.7.21-4 from updates-testing crashes with a NULL pointer thinko, gimme back db4-4.7.21-3 from stable repo" from "db4 update from 4.5 to 4.6 broke things and testing it converted my db to 4.6 format so downgrading back to 4.5 wouldn't do any good" and act intelligently in both cases? One heuristic would be allowing downgrade between different releases of the same version more freely but scriptlets can do damage even in release bumps.. thats no solution either.

	- Panu -