Re: Who moved my bug?

Jon Stanley wrote:
How is fedora-devel a "limited" audience? Many of the major
maintainers weighed in on that thread.
Are there concrete changes that you could suggest to how to actively
involve more people? I'm all ears.

The following is said in hind-sight. I have no reason to believe that I would have done anything any different.

This list is limited in the sense that it is only developers/packagers and a few lurkers like me. This change also affects bug reporters so test-list should have been notified (I am not saying that it wasn't, I don't know). There is also the much larger group of Fedora users, some of whom report bugs. I am not sure how many of them would even read a Fedora list but probably a fair portion of them are subscribed to fedora-announce.

But the real reason that I referred to the audience as a limited audience was because the title of the post referred to a change in the triage procedures. Since I am not a triager, I probably would not have (carefully) read such a post. Using bugzilla in the title, instead of triage, might have brought in a larger, more diverse, audience. It is debatable whether or not you would have had a productive discussion in a larger discussion; so maybe your initial procedure was best.

A short announcement should have been made at the end saying that such and such are the tangible changes to bugzilla that FESCo approved. Then wait to see the fireworks
.....It should not be surprising that
other audiences will object when they realize the consequences of the
changes.
Also,
2) As the subject was reopened ... and needed another committee
discussion to close the issue, the conclusion should have been communicated
to [the posting] list, preferably as a note to the thread that reopened the
discussion.

No one is perfect. If you have ways that I could improve,
please feel free to let me know :)

Really, I was very pleased with the handling. I just felt that it would have been better had there been closure on the threads that discussed the issue.