Re: FESCo Meeting Summary for 2008-10-29

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008, Bill Nottingham wrote:

Seth Vidal (skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) said:
Keywords as a concept are harder than you might think for a lot of
people. Especially if they have to come up with them on their own. You
ever met someone for whom google was not useful? Those are often people
who have trouble figuring out what are good keywords on their own.
However, if they are presented with a list of common keywords they can
pick out the ones they care about. I know it's odd but I've seen it occur
very commonly.

Yes, but which audience are we talking about? The one that wants to find
a billiards game, or the one that wants to find PHP bindings for FTP
support? It's possible that these two audiences have a similar searching/
keywording skill level, but I'm not sure it's likely.

(Which goes back, again, to who and what are we creating this data for.)

Which is why the interface isn't all-or-nothing.

If you know the search terms you want to find then type in:

php ftp

then you get back more or less what 'yum search php ftp' gives you:

php-pear-Net-FTP.noarch : Provides an OO interface to the PHP FTP
                        : functions plus some additions

But in both cases additional tags will help you find that information and, of course, to find where the intersections are.

-sv