Re: Reasons to preseve X on tty7

Matthew Woehlke wrote:

I'd expect most people who install fedora themselves to have at least a couple of other OS's running concurrently. Has anyone done a poll about this recently?

Why would you expect that?

Because it is experimental and high maintenance to run.

I beg to differ. Building KDE from trunk, now /that's/ "experimental and high maintenance", and even that not so much. The only problem I've had with Fedora 8/9 is the cr*p nvidia drivers don't work quite right on my setup, and that's hardly Fedora's fault.

It is fedora's fault that their policy makes it difficult for you to run vendor drivers. But I think you've been lucky with very common hardware or maybe there's been a lull in the serious breakage. I gave up when an update late in the FC6 cycle which should have been stabilized by then and didn't need disruptive changes failed to boot from scsi on a fairly common dell box.

Maintenance... sure, I run 'yum update' every few days, big deal :-).

I don't mind running the update - it's when things don't work afterwards or a remote machine doesn't come back after a reboot that is the problem.

Most of the Fedora-related headaches I run into are from needing a newer package than what's in the official updates due to a requirement in KDE's trunk (like cmake 2.6.2, which I'm hoping will get pushed through before it becomes a hard requirement in a few weeks).

Throw in a few of the third party repositories that you need to deal with the policy and legal restrictions on what fedora provides and things get even more problematic.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx