Re: None of the Above (was Re: Sendmail still default?)

Bill Nottingham wrote:

Which is why mail is a sensible delivery mechanism. It already knows how to deliver elsewhere if you want.
With built-in mechanisms to allow for easy spoofing of critical events
to the user from anyone on the internet, no less!
I'm surprised you are able to do that with fedora's default mail configuration that only accepts from localhost... Perhaps you should let us in on the secret.

????

We're talking about arbitrary mail delivery. It could be forwarded
to any e-mail account, anywhere. (After all, that's what you're asking
for with redirection of root e-mail.)  Ergo, anyone with knowledge of
1) your e-mail address 2) your machine could send you a spoof/phishing/etc.

But that's true whether or not you use it yourself. And it is relatively difficult to spoof the originating host IP since it is recorded by the receiving server.

Should the information be sent via e-mail to an adminstrator, and
stored for later viewing in general? Yes. Does that mean e-mail is
the best mechanism for presenting it? No.
If you have a bad email mechanism, fix that problem.

I think attempting to have all cron/alert/whatever mail gpg-signed
with a host-specific key would be waaaaaaaaaaaay overkill.

The value of unix-like systems is that they provide the user with a standard toolbox to be used in an appropriate way for any situation. Good working defaults are just a plus - the tools, and the fact that they follow standards, are the critical part.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx