Re: [Fwd: Wikipidia - Goodbye Red Hat and Fedora]

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

No gotcha here.  I don't expect users to handle the issues.  Either the
users in question want the opportunity to run the latest software in an
integrated distro and so choose to run Fedora or they want to have a
stable platform on which to deploy their own work and therefore they use
CentOS/RHEL/Debian Stable.
No, it's not an either/or scenario.

You're confusing what you want with what is.

No, I was responding to your misconception of what users want as stated above. What you said is not what I want.

What is *is* an either/or
scenario as there is no definite path from starting with Fedora to
getting to a long term OS.

Agreed, hence this thread of complaints.

 What could be is a long term release for
certain releases if you and other like minded people do the work to
offer security updates and major bugfixes beyond the current EOL.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would you want to commit to long term support of some otherwise orphaned variant when all that is needed is a smooth, planned transition to a version designed for stability with existing long term support?

There's a right tool for any job and a wrong tool.  Using your crescent
wrench to hammer nails is possible but not very satisfying.
What's the 'right' tool to develop for the next version of Centos?

Why, the initial release of the Fedora version that the next version of
CentOS is going to be based on, of course! :-)

Maybe - if the users that reported the bugs that permitted the improvements in stability through the fedora cycles weren't abandoned and left on their own to figure out the departure point and what the differences will be.

And if you want to ask which version of Fedora that is, I'd like to ask
you how you knew there was going to be a RHL 6.2 but not a RHL 6.3; a
RHL 7.3, but not a RHL 8.1....

The version numbers aren't particularly relevant there (and by 8.x the process was so badly broken that no one would have wanted an 8.1). The point is that from the early versions through 7.3 a user could start from the original release, report bugs while doing his own local development and testing, and end up with both the system and local work stabilizing and being usable in production together. With fedora you get the bugs and can report them, but you never end up with a usable platform in the end.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx