Re: Non-X text mode console

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Chris Snook <csnook@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
sean darcy wrote:
David A. Wheeler wrote:
I routinely use text mode console without X, for a
variety of reasons.  For example:
* I have a number of systems (servers) at runlevel 3
* console is critically important when X fails. "Log in with ssh"
 doesn't work when ssh or the network fails.
Have I missed something...big? If I can't ssh into those boxes, can't I
have someone just use the console in person? Some of these boxes are ooold -
600mhz 256mb, which BTW, works superbly at runlevel 3. X would be a real
strain, and is generally not even installed.

Tell me it ain't so.

sean

It ain't so.  This is a gross misunderstanding of the fact that we're moving
to using a kernel framebuffer by default, like some distros did almost a
decade ago.  And you can opt out with 'nomodeset' on the boot command line,
to get the old vga BIOS framebuffer.

Sorry for acting dumb, but I'll ask the question that I have:

Will I be able to do Ctrl+Alt+F1? And will I be able to use a machine
locally without X?

Yes. The only difference will be that the framebuffer is managed by the kernel instead of the video BIOS. On most non-x86 architectures, this is how it has been done since the dawn of time. It's been supported on x86 for a very long time too, but we've chosen not to enable it by default, for various reasons, until now.

-- Chris