Re: Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Simply put, non-X-console input is a mess (X input is a mess too
but
at least there are people trying to fix it), non-X-console font
support has fossilized, and support for modern high resolution
screens
is severely lacking.
Will you still be able to run a headless machine with its console
redirected to a serial port?
Why not ?
I think I'm confused by the term 'non X consoles'.  Is that something
different than the native text mode you see before X starts?

I think you have two different things. A VT to which you can attach an
X session, a serial port, a remote SSH, mingetty... and the software
stack used to display locally the VT text and collect user input.

I've no problem with the low-level VT bit. The current console
software stack OTOH has rotten and seriously needs replacement.

OK, the low level part that works in character mode and expects some hardware to supply and render the fonts is absolutely necessary - software other than X that renders custom fonts, not so much. Can you make the distinction a little more clear when you are talking about removing parts?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx