Re: Pulseaudio : lots of issues, how can I help?

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

Simply put, non-X-console input is a mess (X input is a mess too but
at least there are people trying to fix it), non-X-console font
support has fossilized, and support for modern high resolution
screens
is severely lacking.
Will you still be able to run a headless machine with its console
redirected to a serial port?

Why not ?

I think I'm confused by the term 'non X consoles'. Is that something different than the native text mode you see before X starts?

And that's ok. Do remember that X was defined at a time hardware was
vastly less powerful and core X is not wasteful at all. Compared to
how the rest of the system has bloated, X is definitely lean and
mean.
But there's no reason to assume that the X display(s) is/are directly
connected to the CPU in question.  What do you do when they aren't?

Do not parse

I rarely use the console of the machine running my programs. I'll either ssh for text mode or use a remote X or freenx/NX to connect from elsewhere, and in the case of NX, often floating the session around among several different displays keeping running programs intact. That leaves the question of how to manage the host without needing X locally, and back to the topic of pulseaudio, how to use the host's audio system when the X sessions are displayed elsewhere.

And by the way, I highly recommend the freenx/NX combo if you ever move from your desk.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx