Re: Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

But the URL is not immutable. You wouldn't believe the number of people that
have come to the git-list to complain about git-svn not properly importing
svn repositories simply because the layout has changed since the repository
was first started, or because it was moved one directory up, or some branch
was deleted after having been used to tag something from. SVN is fragile and
has no way of canonically naming a commit. URL+Rev doesn't cut it, since
URL can change (and so can rev, but only in insane cases).

You can uniquely reference specific versions of deleted/reused tags in svn using what they call 'peg revision' syntax. I have no idea if git-svn understands this concept or not, but I suspect that's the real issue here. Regardless, I agree that it's a bad idea to ever reuse a tag that has been released. It's not like there is a shortage of available revision numbers - but it is sometimes handy to float well known tags in the repository for scripting purposed like everyone used to do with CVS.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx