Re: Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Doug Ledford wrote:

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 13:51 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
At long last, we are about to get a brand new RPM version (alpha snapshot
at the moment) into rawhide. The list of changes from 4.4.2.x is massive
and a full summary needs a separate posting (will follow as time permits),
this is just a heads-up of immediate consequences for Fedora packagers and
rawhide consumers:

[ snip ]

This is great and all, but my first reaction was "Oh hell...what a
colossal waste of time" referring to the fact that I've spent the last
week or so pouring over rpm source code trying to see exactly what's
needed to implement some things.

You could've just asked :)

So, that being said, if we are going to make this change in Fedora,
especially one that involves all this "backup for rpmdb, rebuild your
rpmdb, feed your rpmdb cake" stuff, can we make it a flag day and add a
few new fields to the rpmdb schema and bump the rpmdb version?

What schema? :) The rpmdb isn't exactly like your average SQL database... What exactly do you want there?

This is already a flag day of sorts, it's by far the biggest update to rpm in several years. We don't need any more excitement right now, we want to get a new non-4.4.x rpm in an settled. Then we can start looking at new stuff again...

	- Panu -