Re: Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
Denis Leroy wrote:
Jason Tang wrote:
The only problem being that this release is incompatible with current
nvidia drivers.  Granted, I'm aware of the Fedora position regarding
non-OSS, but this Xorg issue has completely destroyed many user's
confidence in the dev team.

That's nothing new you know. Out of the 9 fedora releases, I think at least 8 out of 9 didn't work with the Nvidia driver at release time. however Nvidia is usually pretty good at playing catch up.

I'm also hostage to Nvidia's good will for my Lenovo T61's Quadro chipset, and can't upgrade to F-9 until their next release (nv doesn't work at all on this chipset). I wouldn't go back to a Radeon chipset though, not until we have a working free equivalent (emphasis on 'working') to nvidia-settings for easy dual-head support... The good news is that with xrandr maturing, we're probably almost there.

Interesting...

I have no  "nv" problems on my  Lenovo T61p with Quadro FX570M.
Running with no xorg.conf. ...
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_1536ec85-61c8-49d4-aeaa-3852a20d5d29

Hmm, mine is a NVS 140M. nv yields a black screen. Even if nv worked, it's unbearably slow and can't handle dual 1680x1050 screens. But I would never criticize the Xorg developers, the only culprit for nv being so bad is NVidia itself...