Re: Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Denis Leroy wrote:
Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
Denis Leroy wrote:
Jason Tang wrote:
The only problem being that this release is incompatible with current
nvidia drivers.  Granted, I'm aware of the Fedora position regarding
non-OSS, but this Xorg issue has completely destroyed many user's
confidence in the dev team.

That's nothing new you know. Out of the 9 fedora releases, I think at least 8 out of 9 didn't work with the Nvidia driver at release time. however Nvidia is usually pretty good at playing catch up.

I'm also hostage to Nvidia's good will for my Lenovo T61's Quadro chipset, and can't upgrade to F-9 until their next release (nv doesn't work at all on this chipset). I wouldn't go back to a Radeon chipset though, not until we have a working free equivalent (emphasis on 'working') to nvidia-settings for easy dual-head support... The good news is that with xrandr maturing, we're probably almost there.

Interesting...

I have no  "nv" problems on my  Lenovo T61p with Quadro FX570M.
Running with no xorg.conf. ...
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/pub_1536ec85-61c8-49d4-aeaa-3852a20d5d29

Hmm, mine is a NVS 140M. nv yields a black screen.
With or without an xorg.conf ?

You will need an xorg.conf for dual monitors or an customised script that you run after you
booted the laptop.

I'm not quite sure how their gonna fix the dual monitor one without an xorg.conf,

Is xrandr capable of setting virtual resolution size?
Even if nv worked, it's unbearably slow and can't handle dual 1680x1050 screens.
True the nv driver is slow..

If 1680x1050 is not supported then you need to find the next/closest supported one..

I have to settle with 1360x768 when hooking my T61p to my HDTV which has 1920x1080.

Since rhgb does not have proper sanity checks ( It seems to detect the resolution of the HDTV ( 1920x1080 ) and tries to set it to that resolution, or it tries to set the resolution if the lcd
display to the HDTV and I end up with both screens black)

I have to first start the laptop then put it in my dock
then run a xrandr script I created to change the resolution
of my T6p laptop display and set it to 1360x768 and the display sent to the HDTV ..
( Not using any xorg.conf )

This is from my xorg.conf on my Dell workstation here at work, which has an ati card and is running F9
Set to "panorama/spanning desktop".

I will see if I cant come up with something similar on my T61p and the nv driver..

Section "ServerLayout"
       Identifier     "RandR Multihead layout"
       Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "DVI-0"    # xrandr -q..  Should be DVI-0 Or DVI0
VendorName "Monitor Vendor" ModelName "Dell 1800FP (Analog)" # Match your monitor Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1050" # Set it to 1680x1050 or closest match
       Option      "dpms" # Probably can be removed
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
       Identifier   "DVI-1"
       VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
       ModelName    "Dell 1901FP (Analog)" Match your monitor
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1050" # Set it to 1680x1050 or closest match Option "RightOf" "DVI-0" # Can either be LeftOf or RightOf and change the DVI-0 to match xrandr -q output
       Option      "dpms" # Probably can be removed
EndSection

# Change the Device section to match NV

Section "Device"
       Identifier  "Videocard0"
       Driver      "radeon"
       VendorName  "Videocard Vendor"
       BoardName   "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen0"
       Device     "Videocard0"
       Monitor    "DVI-0" # Needs to match xrandr -q output
       DefaultDepth     24
       SubSection "Display"
               Viewport   0 0
Virtual 2560 1024 # Set it to ( 2x1680 )x1050 or closest match Depth 24
       EndSubSection
EndSection

But I would never criticize the Xorg developers, the only culprit for nv being so bad is NVidia itself...

Nor was I blaming Xorg developers..

Ajax and Dave both have been doing extremely good work.

I have never understood why users always blame Fedora/Xorg for Nvidia not catching up..

I have also never understood why hardware manufactures dont release specs to the open source community or atleast provide a proper functional driver even if it's an closed one.

One would think it was in their best interest to sell as much of the hardware they manufacture regardless of
which OS the end user is using.

JB...
begin:vcard
fn:Johann B.  Gudmundsson
n:Gudmundsson;Johann B.
org:Reiknistofnun - University of Iceland;IT Management
adr:Dunhagi 5;;Taeknigardur;Reykavik;;107;Iceland
email;internet:johannbg@xxxxx
title:Unix System Engineer RHCE,CCSA
tel;work:+3545254267
tel;fax:+3545528801