Re: Xorg 1.5 missed the train?

Horst H. von Brand wrote:
Christopher Stone <chris.stone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2008/5/20 Konrad Meyer <konrad@xxxxxxxxxx>:

As was brought up in a recent thread (of a similarly long and pointless
nature), any Fedora user is free to work on getting support for
whatever they want into Fedora proper, and popular vote has absolutely
*nothing* to do with what actually gets included in Fedora. If you want
something done, do it yourself. If you aren't satisfied by numerous
explanations, find something that satisfies you more than Fedora. We
love having more users, but repeated complaints from leeches are just
annoying.

I'm sure a repo will pop up with all the necessary rpms if nVidia
doesn't come out with drivers soon enough.

Go ahead an put it up!

                                           It is just frustrating
that it has to happen this way.  Such a small amount of effort to make
the distro user friendly for everyone,

It is *not* a small amount of effort. We are not just talking of
recompile-old-X-packages-and-forget, it means an ongoing effort of bug
handling, keeping other packages depending on the old API, ... Plus if this
is done, it is quite probable that nVidia would /never/ see the point of
upgrading their stuff ("Why bother? It works fine with the <nVidia specific
set of packages>"?) And if such is kept up, it would snowball into an
enormous job of keeping whatever backward compatibility dozens of random
hardware and software pieces require. Better go for a long-time-stability
distribution then (but then again, I just saw problems with an oldish
distribution for which they can't get machines it runs on anymore...).

Windows??? anyone??

                                       and yet we must stick to our
principles and screw the end user.

It is more like Fedora users are its users /because/ Fedora is bleeding
edge, and of its principles; and that means breaking some eggs from time to
time (if I may mix metaphors). If that doesn't apeal to you, you aren't the
kind of user Fedora is aimed at. Can't please everyone, sorry about that.
Just shop elsewhere.

+1

Stable (in the meaning of not-changing) and new sometimes arent't compatible.
If You want stable (read: slower-changing) try the Enterprise versions.
Or Debian (2.6.18 *is* stable but it lacks the new functionality added during last 1.5 years).

                                   It doesn't make sense.

It makes perfect sense to me.

[Full disclosure: I'm an nVidia user myself, and 3d has /never/ worked
 here (had enough grief with the binary driver that I gave up on it long
 ago). But for my needs, the current nv driver is plenty enough. YMMV.]