Re: getting rid of vendor prefixes for desktop files

Rex Dieter wrote:
Matthias Clasen wrote:

Thus, I'd like to propose that we change the packaging guidelines to
stop recommending the addition of a vendor prefix, and remove existing
vendor prefixes in F10. This will cause a mild one-time pain for
existing users with customized menus. We can probably discuss ways to
avoid that.

Comments ?

I agree with the sentiment, but, keep in mind that the current guidelines
don't go so far as to mandate vendor prefixes and that there are exceptions
to every rule.

Current Guidelines:
'''
{{{ Three examples, two of which show --vendor="<vendor_id>", one of which shows --vendor="" }}}

* If upstream uses <vendor_id>, leave it intact, otherwise use fedora as <vendor_id>. * It is important that vendor_id stay constant for the life of a package. This is mostly for the sake of menu-editing (which bases off of .desktop file/path names).
'''

So this is confusing as to whether --vendor is mandatory or optional. I can't think of a reason that we'd want to keep recommending --vendor if both you and Rex are in favor of dropping it and we can figure out some way to mitigate the customized menu issue.

-Toshio