Re: getting rid of vendor prefixes for desktop files

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 2:50 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  * It is important that vendor_id stay constant for the life of a package.
 This is mostly for the sake of menu-editing (which bases off of .desktop file/path names).
'''

So this is confusing as to whether --vendor is mandatory or optional.  I can't think of a reason that we'd want to keep recommending --vendor if both you and Rex are in favor of dropping it and we can figure out some way to mitigate the customized menu issue.

One thing I don't understand is how you reconcile this with the actually fairly common occurrence of the upstream vendor changing hands? Say if FooCo has a piece of software called Fooinator, and FooCo goes out of business or otherwise lets Fooinator go stale, and a community project forks it and continues development under the same name. Or maybe FooCo gets bought by BarCo. Does the filename get stuck as fooco-fooinator.desktop forever? Seems to me the simple answer is to just drop the seemingly useless notion of vendor_id. :P

What is the filename getting used for? Why are we keying on it? Something smells broken here.