Re: JahShaka

-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: Re:JahShaka
From: Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Development discussions related to Fedora <fedora-devel-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05/12/2008 02:26 AM
Casey Dahlin wrote:
I'd been hoping there was good video editing software for linux, and it looks like this may be it:

http://jahshaka.org/

Before I go through the review process:

- Has anyone tried to package it? Why didn't you?
- Is there any obvious reason anyone knows of now that it could not be packaged?

At a first glance at their website is not clear to me: what video/audio codecs are they using? Can the application be built with multimedia codecs we are legally allowed to include into Fedora? (that means OGG Theora/Vorbis but *not* libavcodec).

Jahsaka 0.2 (current stable) requires FFMPEG
Jahsaka 0.3 (early development) OpenLibraries. includes MPEG/WMA stuff.

All around looks bad. A video editor would have to use gstreamer to get into Fedora.

Example:
http://www.pitivi.org/wiki/Main_Page