Re: Localisation needs to be improved

Ola Thoresen wrote:
Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
Jens Petersen wrote:
Jeroen van Meeuwen ã?•ã‚“ã?¯æ›¸ã??ã?¾ã?—ã?Ÿ:
Let's make this into a Fedora 10 Proposed Feature:

- an interface for system administrators to set the default language,
like s-c-language does now, but extend it to tweak `locale`.

- an interface for users to tweak they're own little private `locale`.
Sounds like a good idea, I agree.

*doing*

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/LocalePreferences

Enlist and add your comments, ideas, proposals and changes!

I think the main issue is to separate "language" from "locale". I
believe this is the main thing for most of us.
So if LANG and LC_MESSAGES is set from the language-selection and the
rest of LC_* is set from the location/timezone-selection I think we have
a reasonable default.
This should be a quite simple fix, as both these dialogs are already in
firstboot or anaconda.

Yes;

1) System (global) defaults

1a) Language selection now implies locale, and maybe it shouldn't
1b) Timezone selection does not impact locale, while maybe it should

2) End-User Preferences

==

1) makes for a good use-case to implement anything different from the current situation; whether it goes into anaconda or firstboot or "System > Administration" -I'm sorry I'm a GNOME user, rest assured it should be available to _all_ desktop environments and the console. Setting system locale defaults from the timezone selected in anaconda/firstboot makes perfect sense. I'm thinking this may also imply some sort of 'locale --messages=nl_NL.utf8 --paper=de_DE.utf8' (or something similar) in kickstart.

2) requires something _outside_ anaconda and firstboot, possibly in "System > Preferences" (sorry for that, again).

I'll update the wiki feature page to reflect these things, soon.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip