Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

max bianco wrote:

The defaults are wrong for you ,me, and just about everyone that
subscribes to this list. Joe User doesn't need access to these
commands.

 That is an annoyingly elitist attitude that still doesn't justify making
things more confusing.

It is not elitist.

Considering yourself a 'special' case is elitist.

It forces the user to learn as I have taken the
trouble to do because it interests me to do so. If i am not interested
then maybe seeing command not found will prod me to learn the why of
things,

Having programs that you need to run not in your default PATH is not 'the way of things'. It is the way one one peculiar distribution set its defaults. Having /sbin, /user/sbin at all is not 'the way of things', it is the way some unix-like systems arrange things.

 That has absolutely nothing to do with supplying usable defaults, which is
what this conversation was about.

This conversation is about moving /sbin into /bin and why that is or
is not a bad idea. My solution would be long term, as it would force
the user to learn the way of things and then we could move /sbin into
/bin and not worry about it : )

Learning the oddball quirks of a peculiar version of something is generally a waste of time for everyone involved. The point of having a PATH variable and a shell that searches it is so you don't have to learn that kind of crap and re-learn it every time some committee gets together and calls their new arrangement a standard. No one should ever have to learn where ifconfig lives this week. On the other hand, if they learn what it does, that should be good for another 30 years.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx