Re: Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

I agree the data side
In other words, instead of calling interfaces provided by these
backends (which is, obviously, more costly) , MyFedora will be
directly access the databases and manipulate the data to be in a more
user-centric and useful views (am I right?).

I generally do not want to talk to a DB directly though if performance
becomes an issue I might have to. Generally it goes
MyFedora <-json-> mfquery proxy <-json/xmlrpc etc.-> Fedora Resource
<-db connection-> DB.

The proxy is there so I can call async via JavaScript so the only thing
one would gain from a direct DB connection is to get rid of the HTTP
connection to the fedora resource but then you lose any of the business
logic above and beyond the actual data.

Why not throw in a hook to use memcached (http://www.danga.com/memcached/) in front the DB queries? Then if you have performance/scaling problems you just add more cache.

--
  Les Mikesell