Re: Directory structures in the future and other things I want.

Nils Philippsen wrote:
On Fri, 2008-03-28 at 12:04 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

I still think all reasons for having a separate /sbin are obsolete and

See my comment about tab-completion in another mail. If somebody wants
to clutter their PATH, more power to them, but it doesn't make sense for
most normal users.

Meanwhile, changing the default user path fixes the worst parts of the problem. But then there is the alias business too... Should someone who normally uses "su -" but forgets and does "su" be surprised to learn that rm really doesn't ask if you meant to do that?

Having /sbin and /bin doesn't have a thing to do with that, the
difference is that in root's environment, "rm" is aliased to "rm
-i" (get your facts straight before pulling examples out of your hat).

Errr, I know that. My point is that surprises are bad and thus environment differences that a user/admin didn't set up himself are bad. And this is the same point as the main reason for fixing the PATH.

For what it's worth, that inconsistency between normal and root user use
of "rm" should go away, the sooner the better. Either have it
second-guess the user all the time or never.

Yes, unfortunately given that surprises are bad, how can this ever be fixed without surprising someone?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx