Re: spec file changes: removing Release: and %changelog

On Wed, 2008-03-05 at 13:28 -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
> The overall idea is that the release number is determined by the "build
> server", where "build server" can be either localhost (for make local),
> or Koji (for Fedora).  So for local builds, you don't hit Koji to
> determine a release - we just create one, and then increment it from
> there.
>
> We don't want to distribute locally-built RPMs as if they came from
> Fedora, so giving them a .local disttag with a locally-determined
> release is a good thing, I think.

But again, why is it by the build server?  You want to match the changes
to the spec with a number usually, even if that number doesn't get
built, or doesn't get successfully built.  This is why the kernel used
to key the release from the cvs check in number.  Of course that ran
afoul of branch collisions.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE      (jkeating.livejournal.com)
Fedora Project          (fedoraproject.org/wiki/JesseKeating)