Re: to autodownload or not to autodownload

Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, Brian Pepple <bpepple@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
On Sat, 2008-02-09 at 10:19 -0600, Chris Adams wrote:
The free Flash players, as distributed in Fedora, will _always_ be
broken, as they can't include MP3 for audio (at least until about 2017).
If it allowable for codecbuddy to point to a gratis MP3 codec, why is it
not allowable for something to point to a gratis Flash player,
especially when it is the "standard" and the company behind it actually
sets up a repo for use with Fedora (as opposed to the MP3 situation)?
The source code is available for the mp3 gstreamer plugin.  The only
reason we can't include it in Fedora is due to US patent law.
Proprietary flash on the other hand is closed-sourced.

Does codecbuddy point to the open source MP3 plugin or a proprietary MP3
plugin?

We can't link to the open source version due to patent laws. I guess we need to have this conversation every few weeks.

Rahul