Re: WTF? Inaccessible bug reports?

Colin Walters wrote:
On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 11:35 -0500, James Hubbard wrote:

What this says to me is that we need to make it a more seamless
experience for if you don't find something in the main menu, to get it
installed.  We have the "Add/Remove Software" link but unfortunately
it's based on packages which aren't the same thing as applications.
There is work going on around this which might land in the Fedora 9
timeframe.

I've thought for a while that it might be interesting to have a sort of 'shadow' menu which would be a complete list of everything which could be installed to show up in the application menu. This could then be used to link to the software installer so that the user would simply select the application they want to use from the shadow menu and it would then be installed and would appear in the real menu.

Building the shadow menu should be possible by looking for .desktop files (or whatever it is which defines menu entries) in rpm packages.

Simon.