Re: WTF? Inaccessible bug reports?

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 11:35 -0500, James Hubbard wrote:

> There are 80 machines in a cluster.  He has 30 boxes sitting on desks.
>  There are potentially another 90 machines.  It sounds like a mixed
> use environment in a location like a school.  He might know what
> applications he wants, but it's doubtful that he can anticipate all of
> the needs of his users.  It's easier to just install everything and
> let them use what they want.  It minimizes the number of calls that he
> has to field from his users requesting that something be installed.

What this says to me is that we need to make it a more seamless
experience for if you don't find something in the main menu, to get it
installed.  We have the "Add/Remove Software" link but unfortunately
it's based on packages which aren't the same thing as applications.
There is work going on around this which might land in the Fedora 9
timeframe.

> I personally don't like to install everything.  I know developers who
> like to install all so they don't have to go track down packages later
> when they need them.

Right, we should also make it trivial to cache whatever RPMs you want in
the yum cache.  That's not the same thing as having them installed.