Re: F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Jesse Keating wrote:

static ip != server.  The desktop/server distinction is silly at best,
too.  I have mediawiki/apache running on my laptop - it's what I like
writing my notes into.  And I ssh *into* it on a regular basis.

And none of that means you can't use DHCP to deliver your
configuration, be it static, or pulled from a dynamic pool.

The fact that you _can_ use some outside mechanism to handle IP assignments doesn't really excuse an OS from making it reasonably convenient to do it locally.

On the other hand, in spite of my grousing about assignments during installs, what I almost always do in practice is let a new machine take a dhcp address as I load it, making a note of it so I can connect remotely to finish up and do updates, then set the static address only when it is actually ready to provide the service(s) expected at that address.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx