Re: CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Jonathan Steffan wrote:
I hate to blatantly plug Fedora Unity, but we are doing some neat stuff.
The Fedora Project could utilize some of the work we are doing,
specifically with regards to Jigdo. If the issue is really an issue of
storage space, a Spin of CD ISOs could be built against the GOLD tree
(which wont have a changing package set and will survive the updates
tree madness) and then shared via Jigdo. This would utilize the bits
that are in the exploded GOLD tree (the release Everything tree)... not
requiring mirrors to take on additional bits. Fedora Unity will be
releasing GOLD CD iso images (if the Fedora Project wont), but I think
we would prefer to "pass the buck" with regards to testing the Spin. If
push comes to shove, I expect we'll do it. The only *real* drawback to
Jigdo is the moving target of the updates repo for Re-Spins but this is
another issue. I see *no* drawbacks to appeasing the remaining CD users
by releasing a Spin, Jigdo only.

Neither do I. Templates can be as thin as possible while mirrors also include the non-RPM parts when composed against the release tree that every mirror will carry. Major plus is that most parts can be used from the exploded tree, and that the DVD iso could be removed from the mirrors also.

I think PyJigdo (a python based implementation on top of the existing
Jigdo[1]) should be ready for a beta release by the Fedora 8 release
date, if not sooner.

Like in the topic of trying jigdo some time ago it whould need to be first tested with the test releases... we're done with those. We could however try and make this a F9Feature.

These are our stats for CD images for our Re-Spin:

Re-Spin Jigdo CD, Mirror Member 1: 261
Re-Spin Jigdo CD, Mirror Member 2: 204
GOLD CD Torrent (last 4 weeks): 760

Mind that the GOLD CD sets on my torrents are listed on fp.o/wiki/CustomSpins :/

These numbers are not "wow, we need to do CD images" but they would be
exponentially increased if they were for "official images" promoted by
the Fedora Project.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip