Re: Kernel Modules in Fedora -x

Jarod Wilson wrote:

Do you know if a firewire drive will work reliably as a raid1 mirror
with a matching internal drive?

Not a clue, never tried.

With the older stack it isn't
recognized in time at boot-up to automatically connect the md device.

It is if you load the firewire modules in your initrd. :)

Hmmm, would that happen by itself if the drive is attached during an install with the new system?

You can add it and the re-sync generally works if the partition is not
too busy, but it tends to be failed out of the array if it is left
connected when the partition is very active.

I wonder if the cfs scheduler would help with this any. And/or shutting
off beagle (which likes to absolutely slaughter the i/o on my workstation).

The place I want it is as a 3rd member of a RAID1 set that is used for the pooled file storage for backuppc - which hardlinks all identical files it finds across your backup set. This is extremely busy during backups and takes an impractically long time to copy with tar or other file-oriented means because of the way hardlinks are re-constructed (many days for a 250 gig drive), while a raid-sync will complete in a couple of hours. There's probably a better way to do that now with LVM snapshots but that's getting off the topic of reliability.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx