Re: For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

David Woodhouse wrote:
On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 10:27 -0600, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
What do you mean by reliable? Once a package is setup to work in a cross environment, it builds quite reliably.

...until the next time it gets broken by an uncaring upstream :)

In my experience, Fedora is the uncaring upstream which breaks things :-) If cross compilation becomes a standard procedure on Fedora, such breakage is less common. This is because a large number of the gotchas to cross compilation have to do with how the spec file works (especially %pre/%post), rather than the sources. This is particularly true for packages that use auto*. The question is how to introduce cross compilation without putting greater burden on the package maintainers.

I just mean that I gave up on it, because I was seeing too many failures
-- some of which didn't show up until you exercise some esoteric code
path in the resulting binary. I wouldn't personally be happy to release
cross-compiled stuff and call it 'Fedora'.

Awww, don't give up. A lot of us love Fedora and love neat little devices. We want to run Fedora on those devices. We also run screaming at the idea of building *on* those devices. Cross compilation is the answer.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx