Re: fedora for ARM

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
There are indeed some hacks around rpm to make the packahes think they are being build nativly, but what I've seen these are very gross hacks and still break often.
Well, RH's rpm and redhat-rpm-config are grossly broken when it comes to
cross-building rpms. Many things work once you kick redhat-rpm-config
out :(

Hi Ralf,

Do you think that redhat-rpm-config is fundamentally broken, or does it simply need to be made more cross friendly? Like others on the list, I am a strong advocate of cross building on platforms that are either slower or scarcer than make for good build hosts. From your posts it seems like problems with redhat-rpm-config have been longstanding for you, so I wonder if you have some suggestions on what needs to be done (even if you don't have the time to do it yourself).

Native compiling definitively is the way to go,
This is only applicable for sufficiently performing targets. Esp. for low end targets this is close to impossible.

Exactly.

an alternative might be emulating the native system and building in the emulated system.
With a few exceptions, in practice, this is rarely applicable, esp. when
it comes to "less mainstream" targets.

There is something to be said for target emulation or run-parts-of-the-build-on-hardware solutions, but I think the best answer is one where any available host can compile Fedora for any target.

--
Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc@xxxxxxxxxx