Re: For your consideration: Secondary Architectures in Fedora

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On 5/29/07, David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I see no reason why failed builds should be pushed to the repo without
the maintainer even bothering to look at the failure and file a bug
explaining it. Once an architecture is up and running, 'new' build
failures on that arch really aren't very common -- and when they do
happen, they're usually the responsibility of the package maintainer
rather than something the arch experts need to look in to anyway.

I think i agree with you on this.  I think a build failure needs to
result in some definitive action  so that the appropriate group can
figure out how to fix it.  If the maintainer decides to excludearch
that arch... then so be it...but its then at least documented for
later investigation.

+1

The fact that koji now builds for ppc64 has shaken a few bugs out of some of my packages, most of which every packager should be able to fix (with a little help if needed). I think that just allowing packages to fail for secondary archs, is too easy. Atleast people should try to get things to build, and if that fails add it to some kinda tracker bug.

Regards,

Hans