Re: DeltaRPM works great on Fedora Core 6 (yum presto plugin)

On Thu, 10 May 2007, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 12:39 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
This needs to be in createrepo and/or modify the repo using modifyrepo.
Contact me  on tuesday (I'm out of town this week) and I'll see what we
can get merged.

I took a look at createrepo 0.4.8 this morning, and it looks like it
does everything I wanted 0.4.4 to do, but it couldn't.  Woo-hoo!

So we can either (1) have createprestorepo work alongside createrepo
without any modification to createrepo or (2) add a "-d" switch to
createrepo and merge the few additional steps needed to create
presto.xml.gz (which isn't much).

If we're moving towards presto integration in F8, I would probably
encourage (2) otherwise (1) would be easier for you.  I'll contact you
again on Tuesday.

Not that my opinion means all that much, but I (still) think this would be a great feature for F8, and don't see any reason (upstream willing) that this functionality shouldn't be merged into createrepo. I think it'd be best if the existing Fedora mirrors could offer DRPMs alongside regular RPMs, and left the preference up to the client. Of course, in this ideal world, the mirrors would have all the disk space they needed, and wouldn't have to care about the extra space of the DRPMs, but...we'll see.

     Jima