Re: hplip: hp-toolbox advertising?

On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 19:56 -0600, Bernard Johnson wrote:
> David Zeuthen wrote:
> > Now, if only HP would play nicely with the open source community and
> > _just_ provide only drivers instead of reinventing the wheel by
>
> Well, I'm sure you're just emphatic about "better software" but I think
> it comes across as looking a gift horse in the mouth.  I mean, what do
> you want, junk the hp software and then I can have the same printing
> capabilities as when I had this:
> http://openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-LaserJet_3100
>
> Where are your bug reports to them?  Your feature requests?  Have you
> even interacted with the hplip guys before?

No, I'm not the hplip package owner in any distribution and I just came
across this when looking at doing the ACL support things in HAL for
SANE. I'll probably try to talk to them, I was just shocked we actually
ship these bits.

>  >  - Not only that; starting this daemon is completely useless unless you
> >    have HP hardware. We still start it for everyone so everyone have
> >    to suffer. That's bad.
>
> and so is:
>   smartd when I don't have a smartd drive
>   bluethooth when I don't have bluetooth
>   etc

Two wrongs don't make a right (and, FWIW, I'm actually interacting with
the Bluez guys to make HAL start/stop the bluetooth daemons).

> It's nice to sit in your tower and throw rocks, but end then end, some
> of us work with these products and are held accountable for things
> working or not, no matter what political or idealogical happenings go on
> at Fedora/Red Hat.

I think I said already these are my personal points of view and that I
wasn't speaking for Red Hat and obviously not Fedora. So I'm a bit
unhappy to see you attribute these points of view to Fedora/Red Hat.
Please don't do that. Thanks.

For the record, I know plenty of Fedora people (both inside and outside
of Red Hat) who, like you, are satisfied (and even excited) about the
status quo. Go figure.

     David