Re: Fedora 7

David Zeuthen wrote:

My point was that if someone wants to make Fedora a better desktop,
start by jumping on IRC and interactive with us! I'd be thrilled to see
Fedora users come out and say "hey, I want to write this or that app".

People usually realise the existence of irc channels because of the frequent updates from them. For example, Fedora Extras Steering Committee has a public schedule and post summaries from all the meetings they have on a weekly basis.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras

No way, it needs to be developers solely interested in the _development_
of the desktop, not this forum we have on this list which is more
packaging-entry. It's way too noisy to get any desktop development done
on this list I think.

Well, the moment you start posting anything substantial, more people are going to subscribe and start posting. We can't help. On the other hand even if some of it is noise (I deserve the blame in some cases), it does show interest. You might able to turn that interest into contributions - testing, triaging, development work etc. Fedora-art list is a good example here.

Again, people should get involved in upstream GNOME and upstream fd.o
development. People just _don't_ seem to get this - just look at the NM
sub-thread of this thread. This surely belongs on
networkmanager-list@xxxxxxxxx and _people_ still don't get it. Well,
maybe I'm ranting but the thread here did show good ideas - why not take
it to the upstream list where we have more NM wizards that Dan Williams?

Users would see that as part of Fedora development rather than wanting to post to all the different upstream mailing lists. I can talk about NM here but I am not inclined to subscribe to another mailing list just to post a few points.

On a constructive note, how can we raise awareness in the Fedora
community that development needs to happen upstream if possible?

Having a easily accessible documented policy like http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Extras/Policy would help here.

How can
we easily direct people to gnome.org mailing lists and IRC channels?

Might have a sub page in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate to point to the upstream projects that we actively work on and care about.

(Of course, for some things Fedora _is_ the upstream, see e.g. the
livecd development work. That's open and going well.)

Yes. It does. Much appreciated.  Thank you.

Rahul