Re: CPU Frequency Scaling

David Zeuthen wrote:
Making e.g. g-p-m run when no-one is logged in solves a *bunch* of other
problems; sorry if granting you these capabilities (that you didn't have
earlier btw) as a system administrator causes you so much pain, e.g.
that you can't hand-edit a bloody file in /etc using vi or emacs (but
you will be able to run command tools as I mentioned in the other mail
to tweak things).

One of the real strengths of *nixes is that we're immediately able to make use of *every* feature of a daemon for example. I'd really hate to see us going where windows is today, where all configurations are done via a specially designed tool, specialized to do only that job.

1) The feature you want to use HAS to be available through the config-tool, which is bad. A lot of daemons etc has so many options that it would be impossible to add the all to a user-friendly config tool.

2) If you want/need to take advantage of a new feature, you'll have to wait for development of the feature you need in the daemon AND in the config-tool. Development of the config tools can be ignored or postponed if the config files are human editable files.

I've never really been a big fan of the gconf/win-registry thing. I really think we should avoid pushing it beyond the desktop.

We need to remember what makes *nix so powerful and work hard to avoid losing those strengths.

I'm not saying that config tools or GUIs are all bad, but I really don't think we should tie things up so tightly.

just my .5 cents.

/Thomas