Re: Development -> Release use of --oldpackage

Richard Hally wrote:

My most common use case is (running rawhide):
go into /var/cache/yum/development, see what the previous package was and 'rpm -Uvh --oldpackage <previous package>

Last time I was on Rawhide, I guess it was FC3, I had a lot of excitement trying to "sidegrade" the Rawhide box to the released version when it came out. It seemed that my box stayed too long on Development, and I had packages that were newer than the released version. These packages were not overwritten by the released set even when Anaconda was told to do an "upgrade" or an "install" over the existing installation.

Now I am once again on Development on this laptop (for the first time Hibernate is working, thanks to everyone!), it occurs to me there is a use for an option that just installs from a packageset regardless if it is newer or older.

On a related issue, I learned last week about rpmcache and what was apparently the old style of repo content distribution based around detached RPM headers into a separate RPM database. Can anyone gifted with the Redhat/Fedora instrutional memory of the time (Seth?) summarize what drove the migration to a completely separate XML metadata database system? The old way sounds more economic with data and code from what I understand of it.

-Andy