Re: yum question, reverting to old packages.

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 12:32 -0400, Richard Hally wrote:
Or maybe it does an uninstall of the current package then an install
of the "old" package. Perhaps in doesn't make any difference wrt yum, yum could take advantage of the --oldpackage capability of RPM or it could work by doing remove <current> - install <old> and if either --oldpackage or the two step approach can't be done (say for dependencies) notify the user. But since we are speculating about RPM here, perhaps someone who actually knows can help us out. 8-)

Ah, but the uninstall scriptlets are different than the install
scriptlets.  So again, whats done in install may not be undone in
removal or oldpackage.  The point is that like --force and like
--nodeps, the results can be pretty bad, and yum would rather not make
assumptions about the users system and intent.  I applaud that as I've
seen far too many users hork themselves by thinking they were doing
something smart with --force --nodeps.  If you really know what you're
doing wrt these flags, you can do it by hand.

Yup, I agree that --force and/or --nodeps are a Bad Idea. I'm suggesting that --oldpackage is different. Also, --erase <current pkg> followed by --install <previous pkg> should not produce "bad results". If it does, there is something wrong with the particular package design.

Richard