Re: yum question, reverting to old packages.

seth vidal wrote:
On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 00:02 -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
seth vidal <skvidal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Fri, 2006-09-01 at 15:31 +0900, Naoki wrote:
The docs don't mention anything about it but I'm wondering if yum can
handle this sort of functionality :

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage http://kickstart/blah/name

Right now it seems yum can install a specific version of a package,
but it can't 'rollback' to a version if that RPM is already installed.

I'm guessing that's pretty easy for yum to do so maybe it already can
and I'm missing something?
installing an older version is not supported in yum.

it could be - but I'm just not sure how happy we should be about
supporting that process. It is fairly dangerous.
It can be fairly important - if the newest package breaks something,
it's good to be able to easily install an older version, or a version
between the current version and the newest.  It's ok if a special
incantation is needed to force yum to act that way, but if the only way
to get an older package is to go directly to RPM, I think that's less
than optimal.

My concern is mostly with scriptlets.

It seems to me that there is no way to reliably reverse a scriptlet of
any kind.

so reverting to an older version may not necessarily mean a functional
system for the user.

-sv

How does 'rpm --oldpackage' manage it?
The times I have used it it seems to have worked correctly.

Richard