Re: Future Fedora Development

Thanks for all the comments.  Just a few points and comments.

1. I would hasten to say that it was not my intent to directly compare Linux with Vista I was really just trying to say look this is the direction Vista is going in relation to hardware and my worry is that Fedora would go likewise where the opportunity not to do so exists. As a result of the Vista upgrade there should be another glut of cheap second hand hardware for me to run Linux on!!!!!!!!

2. Looking at the FC6 Future.  I found the following

Trim down core

Packages that provide duplicate functionality in Fedora Core, or that aren't essential to a basic operating system, should move to Extras.

Several ideas exist around this:

   *

     Main distro down to 1 or 2 discs - its growing too much

   *

     Main distro down to 1 disk + 1 disk gnome, 1 kde, one java, 1
     other stuff

   *

     All stuff for personal install and the support for the most
     important languages (???) on the first two CDs. Big stuff like
     openoffice-lang-support for not that important langages only in
     extras?

To me this is bang on message. My vote would be to have the initial install go either one of two ways.

a. As previously mentioned design Anaconda to have hardware detection built in and install accordingly. I suppose the issue here might be achieving 100% detection of hardware. b. If it were possible move the main distro down to 1 disc per the second option above and then YUM everything else. This Im guessing presupposes users have access to a reasonably fast internet connection and some knowledge of thier requirements.

Would a third route perhaps be a live-distro CD boot from that and pull requirements down via the internet?

Cheers