Re: Fedora's way forward

On Mar 31, 2006, at 8:51 AM, David Zeuthen wrote:
- Though it is tempting, please avoid installing proprietary software for which we already got an excellent, better or good- enough free replacement - e.g. for movies we got Totem, e.g. we don't need mplayer (if Totem can't play a specific stream the user should file bugs) - for document viewing we got Evince (if the user needs a11y make the Evince authors fix it, don't install adobe reader)
 - Ditto for Ekiga vs. Skype

OK, so I perfectly know mplayer is open source, sorry about that. I guess I was trying to say that the solution should never pull in software that changes the defaults on Fedora like installing a whole new media player stack (mplayer vs. Totem) or a new communications stack (Skype vs. Ekiga).

The solution should simple install plug-ins (e.g. codecs) that extends our default applications. If you do anything more than this I predict the solution to be less than successful. Isn't it great that we have frameworks like e.g. gstreamer or Mozilla plug-ins that actually alow this know?

Hope this clarifies. And good luck with this project - personally I'm looking forward to having stuff like this for Fedora!

     David