Re: Fedora's way forward

Hans de Goede wrote:

Eric S. Raymond wrote:

Michael J Knox <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

After looking at the link I gave closer, I noticed this:

http://easylinux.info/wiki/Fedora_frog

This is a script that installs and sets up a lot of the things people are looking for.

How about we work on/from/with that? Its certainly a start.

Agreed.

No this is way wrong:
-it drags in mscorefont which is atleast a legal gray area
-it enables all repos under the sun causing repo conflict nightmare,
 I've had to help many new Linux users fix their systems after following
 great advise like this.
-and does all kind of other evil

Lets get back on track here, the problem ESR brought up was: Fedora lacks good multimedia playback. The reaction was a mix of:
-unfortunatly we can't provide that
-we can't provide that and we don't want to unless we can in a 100% open
 way
-we can provide that out of the box, and legally we can't ever provide
 it 100% open (livna is not legal in the states), but we could come some
 way using gratis propietary stuff which can be downloaded

My stance is:
-yes better multimedia support would be good
-yes Fedora must stay 100% opensource and redistributable etc
-Fedore should not encourage use of propietary formats but it shouldn't
 make it impossble either.

My Conclusion:

We should provide a mechanism where if a user tries to play an unsupported format, we look up the format in an ondisk (no phoning home please) tabel and see if there is a gratis and legal (even in the states!) downloadable codec in the tabel, if there is such a beast, then _help_ the user install it.

Notting more and notting less, so we wont be telling them to use mp3, nor will we be claiming support, but if a users tries it we help him, now how can helping a user accomplish what he is trying todo ever be bad?

Another take on this, I'm a big fan of free software because of the freedom it gives me, thats what this is all about isn't it, freedom! Doesn't that include the freedom to use proprietary software when I want to? It seems that there are people here who would like to even forbid the use of proprietary software if they could and since then can't they atleast want to make it as hard to use as possible, this is BAD as it hurts other peoples freedom!

Regards,

Hans

I didn't say this was "it", I said it was a _start_ , its an _example_ of what someone is _already_ doing instead of endless bitching.

The point was for people with a common interest work together on something that provided a solution that will make people happy.

Plenty of Fedora/RedHat folks have clearly stated that they will not be adding _any_ mechanisms to Fedora Core to enable closed source apps to be installed.

So, step back, look at my suggestion and treat is as an _idea_ not a _literal_

Michael