Re: Keeping SELinux on (was Attention: Proprietary video driver users (ATI, Nvidia, etc.))

On 2/24/06, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> That was my understanding of SELinux.  You could run a crazy program
>> that has root privileges, is hackable, has no SELinux policy, and all
>> that effort was for nigh.

It goes more like:
- "I have a crazy program that has root privileges, is hackable, has no
SELinux policy"
- "I'll write a selinux policy for it"
- "Now the program's still hackable, but at least it doesn't break
anything else when it gets get hacked"

I'm not sure what you expect to happen - policy should write itself?

Programs without a policy run in a high privilege domain, because we
still want those programs to work, even though nobody has written a
policy for them. It's easy to restrict those programs to run in a low
privilege domain. Then they wouldn't work at all, and you'd only be able
to run confined programs - I doubt this is what you want.

Note that strict policy confines a lot more things that targeted does -
it's meant to be used in a locked-down environment.
(Unfortunately it seems broken at the moment, but I'm sure most of it
will be fixed by FC5).

I'm in favor of SELinux.  I've heard that when writing these policies the developers have actually improved the applications themselves.  They realized that an application didn't really need this or that permission and so they adjusted the code and wrote an even better policy.  SELinux seems to have some use in debugging software.

If people are afraid of SELinux I think what's need is more education on it.  more "layman" articles getting across a few of the "ideas" behind SELinux.

I think some hello world examples of writing an SELinux policy for a simple daemon would be good.

Benji,
Professional Layman